10.17.2008

I can ride my bike with no training wheels...

About a month ago, Ashlyn was "sick and tired" of waiting for Sam to take her training wheels off her "baby" bike. She proceeded to use the weight of the bike to BEND the wheels outward, so they no longer touched the ground. Very smart, this girl. For those of you who are saying, "how old is she?" She is 7 and 1/2. (yes that half counts, unless you are my age) I know that is way too old to begin the two wheeler adventures. We, OK I, have been a nervous wreck about it. We live on a hill. I have had nightmares about bikes, and being unable to stop. This all stems back to my childhood, getting my bell bottom pants caught in the chain. For some reason, I was unable to stop and I ran into our garage. This was very traumatic for me. I have let my daughter suffer because of it. The deal was that we were only going to practice at the park....the nice flat, grassy park. Ash had a different idea while I was at work. She bent those darn "baby training wheels," and took off all on her own. Down our hill she flew. Two wheels, she was able to stop herself, and loved every minute of it. I promptly got the most excited phone call at work. "Mom, I bent my training wheels, and now I can do it myself!" She exclaimed. "Do what yourself?" I asked. " Ride my bike, silly".... I believe I then ranted with her father about how dangerous this is, and why weren't you out there????.... Poor Sam got an earful.




This is were a new adventure begins...





I try to get over my own fears and let my daughter live.


Proud girl, with her new big bike, helmet and riding gloves.


Note her cool gloves like Dad's. I wish I would have had Sam take pics of the bent up "baby wheels" on her too small princess bike.
Oh well.

5 comments:

Lisa and Kate said...

I am so very proud of you, Ashlyn. Ali did not learn to ride until she was 10! Maybe you can help teach Kate when she is your age! It was so fun to see you at Gardner Village! Love you all! Lisa and Kate

ARCHER'S said...

That is so funny!! She's make us laugh!! What a creative daughter!

emily sparks said...

i linked to you too! your girlie is getting so grown up!

Unknown said...

So cute...what a smart girl. That is a fantastic story!!

Melissa Nelson said...

That is too funny! Funny how your childhood fears get passed onto your own kids! Good job Ashlyn for taking matters into your own hands!