6.12.2009

Moab...







Sunday, we had the pleasure of taking Morgan back to Moab. She has been guiding whitewater rafting trips in Moab, for World Wide River. We did not "plan" on taking a 24 hour trip to Moab, or any trip for that matter... We ended up having a great time. I had never been to that part of Utah. I am hooked. What a cool town! I could live in such a town (if they only had a Target.) I am making "plans" to go back to do more hiking and take a tour with Morgan down the river! We left on Sunday around 4:30 pm... dropped Morgan off about 8-8:30... searched for a hotel... to bed around 10:00... up at 7am... breakfast... rock/fossil shop for our little "rock hound"... Arches national park at 9am... hiked and awed until 12pm... then back home... jiggity, jig! We arrived back home 4:00pm Monday. Wow! Crazy, yet fun. Very spontaneous. I am a "planner" and have not done something like this in a long time, OR, maybe never. I was so worried about having everything for everyone (we had about one hours notice), I forgot my own jammies! But, don't you fret. I did not forget the camera, or two outfits for Ashlyn (will it be cold? will it be hot?)
Even though we were worrying about Sybelle the entire time, we are glad we could help out and see beautiful Moab at the same time!

4 comments:

Lisa and Kate said...

What fun and some great pics to boot! You have an amazing family and I am so lucky to have you all in my life!! XOXOX

Kel said...

I love those kind of trips, that is wny everyone makes fun of me not having a rigid schedule with the babies, heck you never know what is going to come up, you have to be ready to fly by the seat of your pants! Those are always the funnest trips! And your post about Ashlynn's babtizm, made me tear up. I couldn't help think of the day in the NICU that you were telling me your story, You are so ;ucky to have her, but how lucky is she to have gotten YOU! You can just tell she is so loved!

Anonymous said...

Moab is amazing. I wish we could keep it 'Utah's little secret' alas, the world knows about us. Did you go tour the rock house? crAzY, you need too? They have some of the best white water rafting. Just reading this post makes me want to go back!

MoabUtah said...

The thing about the Colorado River, as you may know from your youth's position at World Wide Expeditions, is, the Colorado offers a spectrum of fun. A 4 - hour jetboat downstream of Moab is a dry-come-as-you-are motorized trip perfect for toddlers, yes, little ones can go on a jetboat!

Raft-wise: Professor Valley is appropriate for a 40 pound child and grandparents willing to get the feet wet, while whitewater awaits enthusiasts in Westwater or Cataract Canyons. Both have stretches of flat water to reach the remote patches of rapids.

Westwater is near the Colorado - Utah border and National Geographic has stated it is a gem of the west. It does have reliable rapids all season long.

Cataract Canyon is a hundred mile trip resembling Grand Canyon style rapids, but so affordable to our calendar, wallet and abilities. You get 28 rapids in as long as a four day camping trip or overnight trip or One Long Day to conclude on Lake Powell. Because it is shorter is costs less. Grand Canyon's shortest trip is 6 days and regularly there is the gothic hike out or in to begin or conclude the trip. You are driven to start the trip 20 minutes out of Moab for Cataract and a 30 minute scenic flight is recommended to return to Moab from Lake Powell, no effort required!

I just posted an odd little Westwater Photo album http://www.visitmoabutah.wordpress.com if you are interested.